Monday, June 6, 2011

My NEW Hero... Funny Girl

I knew of Barbra Streisand. I knew that she was considered a legend and immensely respected by Hollywood. But until I saw Funny Girl a few weeks ago, I really had no idea how fabulous and incredible she was. I see it now! In fact, I see so much of her Funny Girl character in our beloved Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City. From their coy and wide-eyed brand of flirtation and their irresistible wit,  Carrie Bradshaw is our modern-day Funny Girl. Streisand was able capitalized on her unconventional brand of beauty and won over her audience with wit, charm and pure talent. I love a girl whose self-aware and Funny Girl was completely aware that she was not "the most beautiful girl," a song she refused to sing in one of the earlier scenes of Funny Girl. Instead, she stuffed a pillow under her dress, and sang it with irony. "The audience was not laughing at me, they were laughing with me," she proudly proclaimed when her character was being reprimanded by her boss. Streisand's character was a master of taking a lemon of a situation and turning it into platinum selling lemonade.
Streisand, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jennifer Aniston have relatively "non-Hollywood" faces - if you want to call it that. God knows that things that have been said about their appearance have been profoundly atrocious and insensitive.  None-the-less, they come out beautiful, smart and savvy and I love them for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment